prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:21 am
Posts: 1253
Matt93SE wrote:
*IF* we go back racing in May- key question here- there are still three Majors events left in SOWDIV.


I'm hoping for May as well - Pueblo has an event on Memorial Day.

IF that doesn't happen, I am going to rethink my entire year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 1981
blamkin86 wrote:
Matt93SE wrote:
*IF* we go back racing in May- key question here- there are still three Majors events left in SOWDIV.


I'm hoping for May as well - Pueblo has an event on Memorial Day.

IF that doesn't happen, I am going to rethink my entire year.

Typically the labor and Memorial day majors here are Triples. 2 of the races count for Majors, and the third race on sunday is a divisional points thing. But hey, it worked for me. Last year, I was only able to run those two weekends and it was enough to beat Rogerson for the divisional championship (WOOHOOO!!!! LOL) by like 4 points. :mrgreen:

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Nissan 240SX


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:16 pm
Posts: 5435
Location: Oregon City, Or.
Matt93SE wrote:
blamkin86 wrote:
Matt93SE wrote:
*IF* we go back racing in May- key question here- there are still three Majors events left in SOWDIV.


I'm hoping for May as well - Pueblo has an event on Memorial Day.

IF that doesn't happen, I am going to rethink my entire year.

Typically the labor and Memorial day majors here are Triples. 2 of the races count for Majors, and the third race on sunday is a divisional points thing. But hey, it worked for me. Last year, I was only able to run those two weekends and it was enough to beat Rogerson for the divisional championship (WOOHOOO!!!! LOL) by like 4 points. :mrgreen:

Actually that has not been allowed, we looked into that in the past. its race weekends

_________________
Joe Harlan Member #175515


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 1981
Joe Harlan wrote:
Matt93SE wrote:
blamkin86 wrote:
I'm hoping for May as well - Pueblo has an event on Memorial Day.

IF that doesn't happen, I am going to rethink my entire year.

Typically the labor and Memorial day majors here are Triples. 2 of the races count for Majors, and the third race on sunday is a divisional points thing. But hey, it worked for me. Last year, I was only able to run those two weekends and it was enough to beat Rogerson for the divisional championship (WOOHOOO!!!! LOL) by like 4 points. :mrgreen:

Actually that has not been allowed, we looked into that in the past. its race weekends

right. two races each weekend were Majors races (typical of a double major), and the third on sunday was divisional points only- not a runoffs qualifier.

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Nissan 240SX


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:25 am
Posts: 17
How about this: Open the Runoffs to everyone. Anyone qualifying at 115% or more goes home.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:44 pm
Posts: 898
JimStevens92 wrote:
How about this: Open the Runoffs to everyone. Anyone qualifying at 115% or more goes home.
That is fast becoming the consensus. I can't see that the number of people that show up would be that different from normal. I mean who couldn't qualify in the past? If you wanted to go all you had to do was turn a wheel on three weekends. With all that is going on, I would predict that no matter how easy they make it to qualify this year, the turnout will be light.

_________________
HP National Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:57 am
Posts: 146
If we end up with no qualifying races.. if it just comes down to the Runoffs open for all, is it really a Championship? really, a one race championship? does not seem right someone could be crowned National Champion just running one race. In times of a freakin pandemic - it would be nice to have a big race open to all if we can but I'm not sure about crowning National Champions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Northeast PA
Bill Trainer wrote:
If we end up with no qualifying races.. if it just comes down to the Runoffs open for all, is it really a Championship? really, a one race championship? does not seem right someone could be crowned National Champion just running one race. In times of a freakin pandemic - it would be nice to have a big race open to all if we can but I'm not sure about crowning National Champions.


How would that be different than it is now?
You win the Runoffs you're a National Champion.
Pretty much anyone with a semi-running, sort of nationally classed car can find some way into the Runoffs currently if they really want to go.
Its not like the current qualifications are based on results.

_________________
Jimmy Pettinato
88 BMW M3 - SPU #98


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Northeast PA
blamkin86 wrote:
Matt93SE wrote:
*IF* we go back racing in May- key question here- there are still three Majors events left in SOWDIV.


I'm hoping for May as well - Pueblo has an event on Memorial Day.


Sadly I cant imagine we pull off racing by May.
Given the state of affairs I just cant see this cleaned up enough for May or even June. There are several states that are in lock down until June.
Hell Im hoping for July

_________________
Jimmy Pettinato
88 BMW M3 - SPU #98


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:24 am
Posts: 862
Jimmy is right. Aside from a couple of the most popular classes, the Runoffs qualifications for many years have been a "pay your dues, support the Regions" rather than a truly competitive process.

More importantly - is it possible to imagine that the eventual winner of the championship sprint could not have qualified in a normal season? Honestly, in a typical Prod class I'd guess that only 5 or so of the entrants really stood any chance of winning. It's hard to think that any of those racers couldn't have qualified.

The whole idea of a single sprint for the championship is debatable maybe - but SCCA has done it for 55+ years. And with the geographic size of the country, it seems to me the best choice for am amateur series.

So yes, I think that the 2020 Runoffs Champions (which won't include me) can hold their heads as high as any other year's champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group