prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:47 pm 

Whew....long time IT racer here, never thought I'd want to or do the runoffs. Built a new car -- have run ITS TR8 for 16 years -- and entered the world of Prod rules. With an oddball, tons of trying different parts, making stuff, etc. Had hoped to have the car on track in January....didn't get on track until an SCCA test day in SEptember. Car is reliable, now the development work begins.

Was within 2 seconds of the track record on the test days.....and then the EP gang went six seconds faster in qual...lol....qualified 13th out of 29 and was running 10th in EP when I cut a tire with a few laps to go. Had a blast. The Runoffs is special.

Now the real work in development begins.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:54 am 

Jeff, after IT site postings, I look forward to following your E prod endeavors. :think:

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:00 pm 

Technically this was my second runoffs. I attempted to run at MO in 2016 on a new motor but spent the entire week on my back rebuilding the lower end 3 times over due to a crank oiling issue. I took the green and pulled in at the end of that lap.

Luckily this runoffs went much better. I didn't do much else all week other than alignment changes and moving tires around and watching video. Was able to meet a bunch of you guys relax a bit and watch some of the other groups. Couldn't have asked for anything more in that regard. Personal shout out to Schaafsma, Albin, and Mathis and their crew, who were across the way from our camp with their VW's. Can't say enough about how nice and helpful they all were. Had some clean racing with Vickerman, Kelley, Broring, and Trainer. HP is not perfect by any means, but there are few classes that I would choose to be out there with other than these guys. Good race all around and congrats to Vesa.

This being my first time ever at VIR I was very happy after qualifying 13th in the ~10 hot laps we got all week during Qualifying. As far as the race goes I was extremely happy for the first 14 laps. Car was as fast as it has ever been since I've been running it and I was in some sort of action for most of the race. Ran most of the race in the top 10 and ended with the 11th fastest time. I was running 7th on the last lap when the clutch decided it had done enough work for the season and I pulled off after the bridge on the final lap.

Outside of my not so exciting week, the biggest reason I wanted to post here was for a PSA coming from a younger guy on a budget: I have a - mediocre at best - iRacing set up at home. I was able to run hundreds of laps around the track on there leading up to the runoffs. I spent less than $500 for my set up and already had a decent enough computer. If you (are on a budget like me and) went to the test day to solely learn the track (and not test the car), your doing it wrong. You can take the cost of a single test day to buy yourself a decent enough Sim Racing set up. I drove on that track in the busy qualifying sessions we had very comfortably. I honestly felt like I had driven all those laps there in person once I rubber hit road. This is perfect for new tracks or even tracks you've been to a couple times and need improvement on. I would argue it gets you 75% of the way to a fast lap. The rest lies the actual driving of your car. I got to about 90% of the cars potential I feel after all was said and done.

'84 VW GTI Rabbit | HP #18
Rochester, NY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7