prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: G Prod
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:12 am 

The larger than STU cars also went to T1 where there doing ok. Lots of T1 BMW 3 series cars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:55 pm 

Al Seim wrote:
Having watched the VIR HP broadcast, it seems to me that if Ron Bartell isn't Superman then the Spridget is still a reasonably competitive SCCA HP car.

No Superman – Super car. That Valvoline Spridget handles like a dream. I may be a little critical of my driving, but there was room for improvement on my lap record run, good for at least .2, but probably as much as a half second.

There is a concept that to my knowledge has not been acted out yet, but it involves an H car being able to take the sweeping left-hander leading up to Oak Tree flat out. I am not sure that anyone has done it at the trap speeds that the current cars have. After turning purple on sector one, I was on a flying lap where I could have attempted that if the back-marker had seen me coming. That would have put me on the front row, if not the pole. Third on the grid is not bad, but the lap I had going…….oh well.

Anyway, there is no question that an LBC can turn the same or better lap time than a modern(er) sedan. That is a given based on lap times and lap records. Pole position and all.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 pm 

Ron, sure wish there was an "Like" button for this site. :applause:

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:59 pm 

Ron Bartell wrote:
Al Seim wrote:
Having watched the VIR HP broadcast, it seems to me that if Ron Bartell isn't Superman then the Spridget is still a reasonably competitive SCCA HP car.

No Superman – Super car. That Valvoline Spridget handles like a dream. I may be a little critical of my driving, but there was room for improvement on my lap record run, good for at least .2, but probably as much as a half second.

There is a concept that to my knowledge has not been acted out yet, but it involves an H car being able to take the sweeping left-hander leading up to Oak Tree flat out. I am not sure that anyone has done it at the trap speeds that the current cars have. After turning purple on sector one, I was on a flying lap where I could have attempted that if the back-marker had seen me coming. That would have put me on the front row, if not the pole. Third on the grid is not bad, but the lap I had going…….oh well.

Anyway, there is no question that an LBC can turn the same or better lap time than a modern(er) sedan. That is a given based on lap times and lap records. Pole position and all.

Anybody that has run VIR a lot will think the left hander is flat foot, the little guy on my shoulder keeps saying you can do it and the foot says NOPE

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:13 am 

harvey wrote:
Ron Bartell wrote:
Al Seim wrote:

Anybody that has run VIR a lot will think the left hander is flat foot, the little guy on my shoulder keeps saying you can do it and the foot says NOPE

Yep. That was my goal on my next hot lap when qualifying ended early.
I’d love to go back just to get that turn right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:27 am 

Turn 10 was the corner I worked on all week and really had it nailed down with no downshift and a little brake. Figures it was the turn that bit me in the race. What a fun racetrack, hope we can go back there someday. Awesome prod races from my perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:30 am 

Jesse Prather wrote:
Turn 10 was the corner I worked on all week and really had it nailed down with no downshift and a little brake. Figures it was the turn that bit me in the race. What a fun racetrack, hope we can go back there someday. Awesome prod races from my perspective.

It can definitely be done in a sprite. I was able to go flat through 10 a couple times in qualifying but felt like it was really scrubbing exit speed as I had to back up the turn in point. My two focus points were the exit of 4B as I (and most if not all HP cars) was flat all the way from the exit of 4 to 10 and to not overslow the entrance of Oak Tree T11. Also had to learn how much gap I needed to keep to the tin tops to keep the corner speeds up. Take it for what its worth as my S2 times were about 1 sec off were I needed to be...

With the lack of power I know I have I spent all season making sure I was the lightest car and tried to dial in as much brake as I could.

VIR was definitely fun but no real pucker moments except maybe the roller coaster / hog pen, the rest was just waiting. In a big car it could be a lot more fun through the esses and backstretch.

Edited for switching Turn 5 to Turn 4b...sorry refuse to acknowledge it as 4B. Kinda like calling T11 at MidO anything else :lol:

Last edited by ERVRCG on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 am 

In my FP car I was flat from the exit of T4A to a brake tap for T10. Getting through T4B, T5A, & T5B was like threading a needle, and getting up the climbing esses and through T9 flat also required a perfect line. Miss it just a tad, and it got pretty sketchy.
1200lbs rear springs + those curbs + those crests + lots of lateral load movement + FWD = just keep your foot in it and OMG DON'T LIFT!

That track was a lot of fun to drive, and super rewarding when you hit it right.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 am 

kruck wrote:
In my FP car I was flat from the exit of T4A to a brake tap for T10. Getting through T4B, T5A, & T5B was like threading a needle, and getting up the climbing esses and through T9 flat also required a perfect line. Miss it just a tad, and it got pretty sketchy.
1200lbs rear springs + those curbs + those crests + lots of lateral load movement + FWD = just keep your foot in it and OMG DON'T LIFT!

That track was a lot of fun to drive, and super rewarding when you hit it right.

I took my second driver school (that dates me) at VIR. Peter Krause gave a talk about the line for various turns. His dictum for the Climbing Esses was, "Late. Later. Latest. [apex]"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 am 

Turn 10 at VIR is tough. To me its easily the hardest turn to get right and even then its hard to be consistant. My Traqmate data shows that on my best laps I never get under 100mph there. So I am sure it can be done faster and so it would depend on the speed you have at the top of the hill I guess. I am not good at slowing down 10-15 mph. When I plot the speed distance graph on the tools for Traqmate my speeds at Turn 10 are easily the widest spread of anywhere on the track. Even if I only pick the best half of my laps. Interestingly my 5th to 2nd or 5th to 3rd brake zones are really tight.

In some cars I stay in 5th there as its easier to be consistant. If you could left foot brake it that would help too. I have done that too in my IT7 but I am not great at it either.

FP Mazda Miata
EP 1989 RX7
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL RX7